Sunday, June 29, 2014

Last haul for June 2014: Sideshow 1/6th Storm Shadow, Greg Capullo Batman and Talon figures

This is my last haul for June 2014: Sideshow Collectibles COBRA Ninja Assassin 1/6 scale Storm Shadow 12-inch figure, All-New DC Comics Designer Series: Greg Capullo Batman and Talon action figures.

I don't own many 12-inch figures from Sideshow's G.I. JOE A Real American Hero 1/6 scale figure series. This Storm Shadow sixth scale figure is only my second Sideshow G.I. Joe related figure (Storm Shadow belongs to COBRA, enemy of Joe and is not a Joe himself). The other figure I got was also an enemy of G.I. Joe, a Cobra Saboteur who goes by the code name: Firefly. Check out my review and pictures posted HERE, HERE and HERE. I was excited for the Sideshow G.I. Joe line until they released pictures of their first figure, Snake Eyes (posted HERE) which turned out to be a huge disappointment in terms of look and price. Since then, they have tried to remedy it by releasing other versions of Snake Eyes but they still failed IMHO The Snake Eyes that stand out for me is the Hot Toys G.I. Joe Retaliation: 1/6th scale Snake Eyes 12-inch Collectible Figure which I also reviewed HERE, HERE and HERE


I don't get many smaller size action figures these days even though that's how I started on this toy collecting journey / hobby / passion as I much prefer 1/6 scale (12-inch) action figures with their life-like realistic head sculpts, many points of articulation under their fabric outfits / uniforms / costumes including removable accessories, weapons and gear PLUS overlapping armor (sometimes with individual armor plates) for armor figures; light-up features; interchangeable parts for more display options and so much more! However, once in a while, some smaller scaled figures still catch my eye and even though they are made completely of plastic, I find myself drawn to them. DC Comics Designer Series: Greg Capullo Batman and Talon action figures are just two of them. Read on to find out why :)

Scroll down to see the rest of the pictures.
Click on them for bigger and better views.



I was blown over when I saw the preview pictures of this Sideshow Collectibles COBRA Ninja Assassin 1/6 scale Storm Shadow 12-inch figure (pictures posted HERE) and I couldn't wait to get my hands on him. Why is it the villains always look more bad a$$ than the heroes? The joes are pretty regular joes compared to their COBRA enemy, just as the jedi knights look rather ordinary compared to the siths. Can't wait to open this box and review the figure and contents.


Then there is the All-New DC Comics Designer Series: Greg Capullo Batman action figure. These 7-inch (18cm) tall figures are made entirely of plastic with cuts made into their bodies to give them better articulation but the same cuts do take away the realism factor. However, because Batman is based on a comic book character and I grew up reading comic books, this figure means something to me. I almost started this toy blog as The Bat Cave but decided on Toyhaven because I don't just have Batman toys even though I started my collection with action figures from "Batman: The Animated Series (BTAS)"


Greg Capullo's Batman is based on the New 52 Batman and until a 1/6 scale version comes along, I'll just have to do with this Greg Capullo Batman figure. I haven't been reading comics for a while now but the Court of Owls / Night of the Owls saga by writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo made me pick up the graphic novels again and what a ride it was. The story was gripping and the art was simply superb. See below for pictures of the beautifully done covers by artist Greg Capullo.


The Court of Owls kidnaps child performers from the circus, to train and transform into their assassins known as Talons. The Talons are a breed of deadly assassins that are absolutely loyal to the Court of Owls. They remain "sleeping" deep within their inner sanctum until they are "called" upon. Batman was almost undone by a Talon so getting this All-New DC Comics Designer Series: Greg Capullo Talon action figure was a must once I found out they were releasing these figures.


Besides Batman and Talon, there are also Nightwing and The Riddler from DC Comics Greg Capullo Designer Series.


That's all for now. Hope you come back for the reviews. CHEERS

2 comments:

Kaido said...

Nice haul, Alex!

I agree 100% with your comments about Snake Eyes. I spent lots of money and trouble customizing my original SS Snake Eyes with a Truetype and still doesn't look that great. Then Hot Toys Snake Eyes came out and immediately made the figure obsolete. I bet Ryder Watson would look great standing next to Snake Eyes as part of a squad!

Action Ranger Timmy said...

Your Storm Shadow review will probably dictate whether or not I buy one. No pressure.